Kingmaker at Iowa Media Literacy Conference
Media Literacy is certainly the buzzword of 2017, the world having witnessed how powerful an effect it can have on users' daily perception & thoughts. Kingmaker ended the year by showcasing her latest intervention programmes for the Educators & Social Workers of Iowa State, USA. A total of 180 participants converged upon the city of Ames & Iowa State University to hear from some of the leading names in the area of media literacy.
- Cutting through the Hype: Understanding the Science on Media's Influence on Youth (Dr. Douglas Gentile, PhD, Professor, Iowa State University)
- Media's Influence on Adolescent Substance Use (Tyler Oesterle, M.D, M.P.H., Mayo Clinic Health Systems)
- Princesses & Superheroes: A discussion of Gender Stereotyping and Body Image Issues in Children's Media (Dr. Sarah Coyne, PhD, Associate Professor, Brigham Young University)
- Why Digital Literacy Gives Iowa an Edge in Education (Benjamin Petty, MS, Iowa School Superintendent)
- Building Digital Intelligence (Dr. Yuhyun Park, PhD, President, DQ Institute, Singapore)
- Evidence-Based Cyber Wellness & Media Literacy Programmes (Yeang Cherng Poh, MMC, Principal, Kingmaker Consultancy)
- Digital Intelligence (Dr. David Walsh, PhD, President, Mind Positive Parenting)
Design & Validation of Intervention Programmes
Mr. Poh Yeang Cherng presented the design & validation of Kingmaker's cyber wellness intervention programmes. Starting with a live demonstration of "Screen Time & Media Multitasking: Effects on Academic Productivity", the participants were treated to a full experience of what it feels like to be engaged on the primary concern for Educators & Parents alike.
Through a series of videos, live experiments & interaction, audience were shown how Kingmaker Trainers typically engage students between 12 to 18 years old. In essence, an effective intervention programme will have successfully engaged the participant in 4 areas:
- "The problem is serious"
- "The problem affects me"
- "If I take action, I will be able to address this problem"
- "I am capable of undertaking this action"
Media Literacy Research & Development
Kingmaker looks forward to the exciting collaboration ahead in new areas of R&D:
- Development of Media Literacy programmes for Iowa State
- Design of Intervention for various Media Effects on Children